Incorporating research previously unavailable in English, this clear guide gives a synthesis of the latest scholarship providing the historical and intellectual context for political ideas.
This accessible and lucid guide to medieval political thought
* gives a synthesis of the latest scholarship
* incorporates the results of research until now unavailable in English
* focuses on the crucial primary source material
* provides the historical and intellectual context for political ideas.
The book covers four periods, each with a different focus:
* 300-750 - Christian ideas of rulership
* 750-1050 - the Carolingian period and its aftermath
* 1050-1290 - the relationship between temporal and spiritual power, and the revived legacy of antiquity
* 1290-1450 - the confrontation with political reality in ideas of church and of state, and in juristic thought.
Canning has produced an ideal introductory text for undergraduate and postgraduate students of the period.
Author : Joseph Canning
ISBN : 041501350X
Language : English
No of Pages : 272
Publication Date : 12/14/1996
Format/Binding : Paperback
Book dimensions : 8.4x5.38x0.86
Book weight : 0.01
Write a review
Your Review: Note: HTML is not translated!
Rating: Bad Good
Enter the code in the box below: