The Most Complete, Easy-to-Follow Guide to Ubuntu LinuxÂ
- The #1 Ubuntu server resource, fully updated for Ubuntu 10.4 (Lucid Lynx)â€“the Long Term Support (LTS) release many companies will rely on for years!
- Updated JumpStarts help you set up Samba, Apache, Mail, FTP, NIS, OpenSSH, DNS, and other complex servers in minutes
- Hundreds of up-to-date examples, plus comprehensive indexes that deliver instant access to answers you can trustÂ
Mark Sobellâ€™s A Practical Guide to Ubuntu LinuxÂ®, Third Edition, is the most thorough and up-to-date reference to installing, configuring, and working with Ubuntu, and also offers comprehensive coverage of serversâ€”critical for anybody interested in unleashing the full power of Ubuntu.
This edition has been fully updated for Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx), a milestone Long Term Support (LTS) release, which Canonical will support on desktops until 2013 and on servers until 2015.
Sobell walks you through every essential feature and technique, from installing Ubuntu to working with GNOME, Samba, exim4, Apache, DNS, NIS, LDAP, g ufw, firestarter, iptables, even Perl scripting. His exceptionally clear explanations demystify everything from networking to security.
Youâ€™ll find full chapters on running Ubuntu from the command line and desktop (GUI), administrating systems, setting up networks and Internet servers, and much more.Â Fully updated JumpStart sections help you get complex servers runningâ€”often in as little as five minutes.
Sobell draws on his immense Linux knowledge to explain both the â€œhowsâ€ and the â€œwhysâ€ of Ubuntu. Heâ€™s taught hundreds of thousands of readers and never forgets what itâ€™s like to be new to Linux. Whether youâ€™re a user, administrator, or programmer, youâ€™ll find everything you need hereâ€”now, and for many years to come.
The worldâ€™s most practical Ubuntu Linux book is now even more useful!
This book delivers
- Hundreds of easy-to-use UbuntuÂ examples
- ImportantÂ networking coverage, including DNS, NFS, and Cacti
- Coverage of crucial Ubuntu topics such as sudo and the Upstart init daemon
- More detailed, usable coverage of Internet server configuration, including Apache (Web) and exim4 (email) servers
- State-of-the-art security techniques, including up-to-date firewall setupÂ techniques using gufw and iptables, and a full chapter on OpenSSH
- A complete introduction to Perl scripting for automated administration
- Deeper coverage of essential admin tasksâ€“from managing users to CUPS printing, configuring LANs to building a kernel
- Complete instructions on keeping Ubuntu systems up-to-date using aptitude, Synaptic, and the Software Sources window
- And much more...including a 500+ term glossary
Includes DVD!Â Get the full version of Lucid Lynx, the latest UbuntuÂ LTS release!
Author : Mark G. Sobell
ISBN : 013254248X
Language : English
No of Pages : 1320
Edition : 3
Publication Date : 8/22/2010
Format/Binding : Paperback
Book dimensions : 9.06x7.4x1.81
Book weight : 0.04
Write a review
Your Review: Note: HTML is not translated!
Rating: Bad Good
Enter the code in the box below: