The Most Complete, Easy-to-Follow Guide to Ubuntu Linux
Mark Sobellâ€™s A Practical Guide to Ubuntu LinuxÂ®, Second Edition, isnâ€™t just the most thorough and up-to-date reference to installing, configuring, and working with Ubuntu. It also provides comprehensive server coverage you wonâ€™t find in any other Ubuntu book.
The fully updated JumpStart sections help you get complex servers running quickly. Whatever your questions may be, the completely revamped index gives you even faster access to the answers youâ€™re searching for. And a brand new chapter on Perl programming teaches you the basics of this powerful system administration language.
Sobell walks you through every feature and technique youâ€™ll need, from installing Ubuntu to working with GNOME, Samba, exim4, Apache, DNS, NIS, LDAP, ufw, firestarter, and iptables. His exceptionally clear explanations demystify everything from system security to Windows file/printer sharing. Youâ€™ll find full chapters on running Ubuntu from the command line and GUI, administering systems and security, setting up networks and Internet servers, and much more.Â
Along the way, youâ€™ll learn both the â€œhowsâ€ and the â€œwhysâ€ of Ubuntu. Sobell knows every Linux nook and cranny: Heâ€™s taught hundreds of thousands of readersâ€“and never forgets what itâ€™s like to be new to
Linux. Whether youâ€™re a user, administrator, or programmer, this book gives you all you needâ€“and more.
The worldâ€™s most practical Ubuntu Linux book is now even more useful!
This book delivers
- Hundreds of easy-to-follow, easy-to-use examples
- Updated JumpStarts for setting up Samba, Apache, Mail, FTP, NIS, OpenSSH, DNS, and other complex servers
- Deeper coverage of the command line, GNOME GUI, and desktop customization
- Coverage of crucial Ubuntu topics such as sudo and the Upstart init daemon
- More detailed, usable coverage of Internet server configuration, including Apache, exim4, and DNS/BIND
- More state-of-the-art security techniques, including firewall setup using ufw, firestarter, and iptables,
plus a full chapter on OpenSSH
- Deeper coverage of essential system and network administration tasksâ€“from managing users to
CUPS printing, configuring LANs to building a kernel
- Complete instructions on keeping Ubuntu systems up-to-date using aptitude, Synaptic, and the Software Sources window
- And much more...including a 500+ term glossary and five detailed appendixesÂ
Includes DVD!Â Get the full version of the Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) release!
Author : Mark G. Sobell
ISBN : 0137003889
Language : English
No of Pages : 1272
Edition : 2
Publication Date : 1/9/2009
Format/Binding : Paperback
Book dimensions : 9x7.4x2.1
Book weight : 0.05
Write a review
Your Review: Note: HTML is not translated!
Rating: Bad Good
Enter the code in the box below: