â€œHow can we tell where children stand in their physical, cognitive, socioemotional, language, and creative development?Â Do we test them?Â Measure them? Compare them?â€
This textbook teaches students how to become observers and how to document their findings using one tool:Â The Child Development Checklist .Â The author posits that the best method to determine a childâ€™s strengths is for the teacher to observe the young child in the regular classroom based on a particular set of criteria.Â The reasons for assessing children in this manner are:Â
- It allows students of child development to gain an in-depth understanding of real children and their sequences of growth.
- It helps teachers of young children to become aware of each childâ€™s growth and to support individual development with appropriate activities and materials.Â Â Â
Once the childâ€™s strengths have been assessed, the book then provides suitable lesson plans and activities to support the childâ€™s development.Â
New To This Edition:
NEW!Â Presents new information on how to become an observer--How to get started, when and how long to observe, what to look for in children, and how to record.
- This is critical for new students and teachers.Â (See Chapter 1 Ex. p. 9, 11, 12)Â
NEW!Â Suggests a lternative approaches to child assessmentâ€“These include visual documentation, i.e. art, photos, videos, and using documentation panels.
- This is Important for evaluating both children and program.Â (See Chapter 1 Ex. pp 23-26).Â Â
NEW!Â Offers new information on self-esteem in young childrenâ€“Explains how and why a child should develop a secure attachment relationship with a teacher.
- Sets the stage for childâ€™s success. (See Chapter 3 Ex. pp 81-82).Â Â
NEW!Â Includes new research on the brain showing the importance of physical exercise for childrenâ€“The research shows that exercises increases brain synapses that improve permanent memory development.
- Even clapping helps.Â (See Chapter 6, Ex.p.267)
Author : Janice J. Beaty
ISBN : 0135025893
Language : English
No of Pages : 480
Edition : 7
Publication Date : 1/7/2009
Format/Binding : Paperback
Book dimensions : 9.1x7.3x0.9
Book weight : 0.02
Write a review
Your Review: Note: HTML is not translated!
Rating: Bad Good
Enter the code in the box below: