Politics of Latin America: The Power Game
Now in its fourth edition, Politics of Latin America explores both the evolution and the current state of the political scene in Latin America. Distinguishing itself from more traditional works on the subject, this unique text demonstrates a nuanced sensitivity to the use and abuse of power and the importance of social conditions, gender, race, globalization, and political economy throughout Latin America.
The first part of the text is composed of thematic chapters that outline the region's geographic setting, history, economics, society, gender, race, and religion, setting the stage for a more detailed analysis of the politics, democratization, political culture, political movements, and revolution in Latin America. The second part of the book consists of carefully constructed case studies of ten representative Latin American nations: Guatemala, Mexico, Cuba, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Venezuela, Colombia, Nicaragua, and Bolivia. Each case study traces the historical and political development of key actors and institutions, analyzing contemporary power configurations.
FEATURES OF THE FOURTH EDITION:
* Focuses on contemporary developments in the region, especially the election and reelection (from 2002 on) of several progressive governments that provide an alternative to the neoliberal policies of the 1990s
* Incorporates recent political events (from 2007-2010), including the presidential and legislative elections in Brazil, Venezuela, Uruguay, El Salvador, and Paraguay
* Analyzes critical new legislative developments, including the legalization of gay marriage in Argentina in 2010
* Updates all tables and charts with the latest census and economic data
* Includes an entirely new chapter (11) on the relationship between the United States and Latin America, which offers an in-depth look at Obama's policies toward the region and places his administration in the context of long-standing themes in this complex relationship
* Restructures, expands, and adds statistical tables to the chapter on democracy and authoritarianism
Specifications of Politics of Latin America: The Power Game
|Author||Harry E. Vanden, Gary Prevost|
|Publisher||Oxford University Press|
|Number Of Pages||633|
Write a review
Note: HTML is not translated!
Rating: Bad Good
Enter the code in the box below: