Using the open source Asterisk platform, you can deploy a state-of-the-art VoIP PBX on a low-cost PC or server for a fraction of the cost of conventional PBX systems. The only drawback to Asterisk is its notoriously poor documentation. Practical Asterisk 1.4 and 1.6 is the solution to that problem. This book provides all the detailed, real-world, ground-level information you need to plan, install, configure, and reliably operate Asterisk in any environment.
This tutorial and reference systematically introduces each of Asteriskâ€™s key building blocks and shows how to use them to implement a full spectrum of communications solutions, from conferencing to call queuing, voicemail and fax to IVR. Leading Asterisk consultants Stefan Wintermeyer and Stephen Bosch draw on their extensive experience, presenting detailed usage examples and practical tips not available anywhere else.
- Detailed instructions for configuring a basic Asterisk system
- A start-to-finish business case example demonstrating Asterisk design for real-world deployment
- A thorough introduction to dialplan applications and functions
- How to use the new Asterisk Extensions Language to build concise, readable, and maintainable dialplans
- Using Asteriskâ€™s diverse network and IP telephony protocols, audio codecs, and wire transports
- Configuring Asteriskâ€™s powerful voicemail features
- Building a sophisticated Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system with Asterisk
- Defining and utilizing call queues in call center environments
- Using Asteriskâ€™s built-in conferencing functions
- Controlling Asterisk from external applications, scripts, or the system shell
- Interacting with external applications through the Asterisk Gateway Interface
- Setting up extension monitoring and hints for SIP telephones
- Upgrading existing systems to the latest versions of Asterisk
Whether youâ€™re a network professional, telephony expert, software developer, or power user, Practical Asterisk 1.4 and 1.6 will provide you with the most thorough detail and practical Asterisk guidance available anywhere.
Author : Stefan Wintermeyer
ISBN : 0321525663
Language : English
No of Pages : 840
Edition : 1
Publication Date : 12/30/2009
Format/Binding : Paperback
Book dimensions : 9.06x7.01x1.26
Book weight : 0.03
Write a review
Your Review: Note: HTML is not translated!
Rating: Bad Good
Enter the code in the box below: