Learn the therapeutic skills you need for your role in psychiatric nursing care! Psychiatric Nursing uses a practical, three-pronged approach to psychotherapeutic management that clearly explains how to care for patients with psychiatric disorders. It emphasizes the nurse's three primary tools: themselves, medications, and the environment. Written by Norman L. Keltner, Carol E. Bostrom, and Teena McGuinness, each an educator and advanced practice nurse, this text covers the latest trends and treatments and provides a solid, real-world foundation for the practice of safe and effective psychiatric nursing care.
- Unique! A practical three-pronged approach to psychotherapeutic management includes: 1) the therapeutic nurse-patient relationship, 2) psychopharmacology, and 3) milieu management.
- Unique! Norm's Notes offer helpful tips from the lead author at the beginning of each chapter, making it easier to understand difficult topics.
- Unique! Putting It All Together summaries are provided at the end of each chapter.
- Patient and Family Education boxes highlight information that should be provided to patients and families.
- Family Issues boxes highlight the issues families must confront when a member suffers from mental illness.
- Nursing care plans emphasize assessment, planning, nursing diagnoses, implementation, and evaluation for specific disorders.
- Case studies depict psychiatric disorders and show the development of effective nursing care strategies.
- Clinical examples from the authors' own experiences illustrate concepts with real-life clinical situations.
- Learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter preview the important principles to follow.
- Study Notes summarize each chapter's important content.
- Critical thinking questions help you expand your clinical reasoning skills.
- Suicide and Other Self Destructive Behaviors chapter identifies risk factors associated with suicidality and various forms and characteristics of self-mutilation.
- War Related Psychiatric Disorders chapter describes the symptoms and treatment options for posttraumatic stress disorder and traumatic brain injury patients.
- New approach for Introduction to Milieu Management chapter recognizes the shift of the therapeutic environment from inpatient units to community settings, plus nurses' changing roles.
- New approach for Nutraceuticals and Mental Health chapter focuses on foods that provide health and medical benefits.
- Student resources on the companion Evolve websiteÂ include downloadable audio chapter summaries, NCLEXÂ® examination-style review questions, psychotropic drug monographs, and learning activities.
Author : Norman L. Keltner EdD RN CRNP
ISBN : 0323069517
Language : English
No of Pages : 560
Edition : 6
Publication Date : 10/14/2010
Format/Binding : Paperback
Book dimensions : 10.7x8.4x0.3
Book weight : 0.03
Write a review
Your Review: Note: HTML is not translated!
Rating: Bad Good
Enter the code in the box below: