With the guidance of children's writing enthusiast Ruth Shagoury, teachers will learn to listen to all their students and look at their written work with a new and appreciative lensâ€”one that also helps them anticipate and encourage students in developing new skills appropriately. Drawing on her many years of primary classroom teaching and research, Ruth offers primary teachers, early childhood specialists, and caregivers strategies to nurture connections between oral and writing skills at every stage of childrenâ€™s development for today's multicultural classroom. Ruth's thorough exploration of how young children learn written language presents teachers with the necessary tools to understand the growth and development of written language in a literate culture. Filled with a wealth of resources for extending learning beyond the classroom, Raising Writers: Understanding and Nurturing Young Children's Writing DevelopmentÂ includes interviews with the author andÂ book study questions making this a perfect book for book club study groups.
Help your students make the transition from oral to written language!
- Explores the written language development of pre-school through primary school age children.
- Addresses important topics such as the role of the culture of literacy, how drawing and writing go hand-in hand, and the developmental path of spelling and conventions.Â
- Identifies the parallels between oral and written language development with the use of a developmental continuum chart. In addition, the book includes an annotated guide with research foundation for the continuum.
- Includes numerous samples of childrenâ€™s work and photos to bring the information in the book to life.Â
- Offers book recommendations for spelling programs and additional writing instruction resources, as well as picture book suggestions for multicultural classrooms.Â
- Includes a book club study guide at the end of the book.
Author : Ruth E. Shagoury
ISBN : 0205514618
Language : English
No of Pages : 144
Edition : 1
Publication Date : 3/28/2008
Format/Binding : Paperback
Book dimensions : 8.9x7.3x0.6
Book weight : 0.01
Write a review
Your Review: Note: HTML is not translated!
Rating: Bad Good
Enter the code in the box below: