The Oxford Bible Commentary
Whether you see the Bible as the living word of God, or as a highly significant document from the ancient world, or as one of the classic works of world literature, The Oxford Bible Commentary will put in your hands everything you need to study and understand the biblical text.
Here is a monumental, line-by-line critical commentary on the Bible, covering all the books that appear in the NRSV. An essential reference work, this definitive book provides authoritative, non-denominational commentary written by an international team of more than 70 leading scholars from various religious backgrounds. Incorporating the latest research, the contributors examine the books of the Bible in exhaustive detail, taking a historical-critical approach that attempts to shed light on the scriptures by placing them in the context in which their first audiences would have encountered them, asking how they came to be composed and what were the purposes of their authors. The Commentary includes a general introduction, extensive introductions to both testaments and the Apocrypha, and briefer introductions to the particular books, plus an essay with commentary on important post-biblical Jewish and Christian literature. Each article concludes with a bibliography that points the reader toward the most important supplemental works in English, including major reference works, introductions, and so forth.
A truly stunning work of biblical scholarship, The Oxford Bible Commentary will be an invaluable resource for pastors preparing a sermon, for students, for those in study or discussion groups, and indeed for anyone--whether Jewish, Catholic, Protestant, or Orthodox Christian--who seeks a clearer perspective on a text that has been held in reverence for thousands of years. The OBC features a Logos Library System CD-ROM that, once unlocked, gives the reader access to its text and that of the New Revised Standard Version Bible. The CD is fully compatible with all Logos products.
* Detailed verse-by-verse commentary, written by over 70 of the world's leading biblical scholars from all the major Christian traditions and Judaism.
* Includes all the canonical books for the Protestant, Catholic, and Orthodox traditions, and non-biblical Jewish and Christian writings from the biblical era.
* Combines the fruits of the historical-critical method with insights from other critical approaches to Bible study.
* Includes major introductions to every biblical book.
* Bibliographies of supplemental works in English are located throughout the book, making in-depth study of topics easier.
* 11 full color, Oxford Bible Maps.
* Two ribbon markers make it easy to keep one's place in the book.
Specifications of The Oxford Bible Commentary
|Publisher||Oxford University Press|
|Number Of Pages||1416|
Write a review
Note: HTML is not translated!
Rating: Bad Good
Enter the code in the box below: